Thursday, November 26, 2009

Reporting from a secure location

Hello dear people. I am in a house once again. It's in Cork, Ireland. And what have I been doing for the past few weeks? London-ing.
Lots of things happened to me in London. I did some work, but not as much as I wanted to do; I ran out of money again; I went to 1,000 galleries and museums and wandered down countless charming little streets with colourful shop fronts and cosy pubs; I went to the Borough market, repeatedly, and ate some of the best food I have ever tasted: meringues the size of a cat's head, superb cheese, mulled cider, apples that were more fragrant and delicate-tasting than any I've had before; I was mistaken for an Australian more times than I can count; I talked about New Zealand a lot, mostly to people who have never been there and have some seriously mistaken ideas about what it's like. Here is a typical conversation:

Other Person: So where you from?
I (wearily): New Zealand. (pause - have they heard of it before?) It's just below Aus...
OP: Ah, New Zealand! Beautiful country! You have a good life there!
I: Oh, have you been there?
OP: No, no. But I would like to, I would really like to. It's very warm, no?
I: Well, actually, we have a lot of micro climates and...
OP: Like Australia?
I: No, more like England actually. Where I live it's wet and cold.
OP: Oh... (puzzled) but you have kangaroos there, right? do you eat kangaroo meat?
I: I'm a vegetarian, and no, we have no kangaroos. Or koalas, or in fact any native mammals. Well there's a bat, but...
OP: Oh. (starting to doubt their knowledge of New Zealand a little) But you speak English there, right?
I: (my accent is that bad?) Yes...

Yes, no predatorial and/or scary animals, space, beautiful scenery and vegetation, space, good living standards, friendly population, large houses, social security, low crime rate. Some people can't believe that such a place exists. So when I've explained it all to them, they next question is inevitably:

OP: So why do you come here?

But the concept of cultural isolation is as difficult for them to grasp as the notion of having a city full of people living in comfortable detached houses with gardens. And from our perspective, this is kind of good. Keep it on the down low - because all the things that make Home such a great place to live stem solely from a low population density.
Here's some more London: Polish jazz quartet - Camden markets full of junk and fun - mummies at the British Museum - a roaring fire in the Tudor era kitchen at Hampton Court Palace - meeting up with Couch Surfers - Soho shops and cafes - rampant and terrifying consumerism on Oxford Street (two storey Disney shop, my god..) - Egyptian food on Edgware Road - working for a night at the Royal Ocean Racing Club, served ostrich and springbok meat..... stuff. London is a city of stuff, lots of it.
So now I am at my friend Leon's house in Cork, but Leon is not here. And very very soon, I will see all your lovely faces again. Make sure they're nicely washed 'n' smiley for it, yeah? Looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment