Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Bullshit and the Emperor

Several people have told me that the naturally ideal size for a group or community is between 150-200 people. Any more and it gets hard to humanise everyone and any less and it gets claustrophobic. I think the people that told me this had reliable sources, like anthropological studies or something, or at least they told me they did. Anyway, what do you know, I have 195 friends on facebook and haven't added anyone for a while, so this proves the point beyond ANY doubt.

Someone I know - name no names - has 800 facebook friends. It kind of decreases the value of being one of them once you find that out.

------

Man, you'd think in a small, friendly, underground artistic community where no one really gets paid much or enjoys any kind of fame to speak of - like one we've got in Wellington, for example - that there'd be less incidents of dickiness, arrogance, preciousness, exclusiveness, backstabbing, delusions of greatness, bullshit, blah and bullshit.
Isn't that shit supposed to be reserved for places where there's actually the potential to make lots of money and win bajillions of fans, rather than merely impress your mates and get a good review in the Capital Times?
Apparently not.
Just a general observation.
It gets a little nauseating after a while.

------

Bonaparte - yes yes yes!

I mean we all knew that already, right, but I've just been watching some videos of his on the net and got reminded of it. Something strange going on with the politics of it, especially 'Anti Anti' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vkE5Xs5omA), it's almost weary, like we've been saying this shit for decades now and they're not listening and the message is getting a little hollow. Not to accuse him of being politically lightweight though, he seems to be using the politics of punk as a tool to make a deeper point.

At least I hope he is, it does seem a bit fluffy sometimes, and you do wonder - does this guy really give a shit, or is this just one more piece of decorative apathy? But if nothing else, Bonaparte captures the zeitgeist unnervingly well - when the world is crumbling, what else can you do but dance.

I was going to interview this cat when he was here a few months ago for Salient, or something along those lines. We were going to get on like a house on fire and get drunk together, and he'd invite me to come visit him in Berlin and introduce me to all his cool friends. But I never got round to it.

I really should be more proactive in abusing the power of the press to hang out with musicians I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment